There are many virtual machines like Vmware Workstation, Oracle VirtualBox, and many more so that you can install multiple operating systems within 1 PC. Meanwhile, Windows 10 has a built-in virtual machine called “Hyper-V.” Unfortunately, Hyper-V isn’t available on Windows 10 Home edition. This feature is only available on Windows 10 Enterprise, Pro, or Education. Meanwhile, if you have Windows 10 Home and want to manually get or install Hyper-V then you are at the right place. So, in this post, we will guide you on how to install Hyper-V on s Windows 10 Home PC or laptop with ease.
What Is Hyper-V?
Microsoft Hyper-V is a native hypervisor that can create virtual machines on x86-64 systems running Windows. It was codenamed “Viridian” and was briefly known as Windows Server Virtualization before its release. As of Windows 8, Hyper-V has replaced Windows Virtual PC as the client editions of Windows NT’s hardware virtualization component. Specific virtual machines may be exposed to one or more networks using a Hyper-V cloud device. Hyper-V was first launched with Windows Server 2008, and since Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8, it has been available without charge. A free standalone Windows Hyper-V Server is available, but it only has a command-line interface.
What is the purpose of Hyper-V?
Hypervisors are a term used to describe virtualization systems or platforms. Hyper-V is Microsoft’s version; other well-known hypervisors include VMWare’s ESXi and VSphere, XenServer (Citrix), KVM Open Source Hypervisor, and RHEV (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization) (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization). VSphere and Hyper-V presently have the lion’s share of the virtualization market.
- Create and test programs, operating systems, and software updates.
- Scale the IT infrastructure easily to handle broader workloads.
- Data from a legacy device can be saved or migrated.
- Enhance business continuity.
How to Get/Enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 Home
- To begin, go to this link and download the batch file to enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 Home. The batch file was developed by members of Microsoft’s Virtualization team.
- Once the batch file is downloaded, right-click on it and then run it as administrator. Click Yes, if you are prompted.
- When you do this, a Command Prompt window will open and Hyper-V will begin to install on Windows 10 Home. Wait patiently!
- When the installation is completed, press Y to restart your computer.
Enable Hyper-V on Windows 10 Home
- Press Windows key+R to open Run, Type,
optionalfeatures.exeand click OK.
- Now, mark all the checkboxes next to Hyper-V, Hyper-V Management Tools, and Hyper-V Platform and click OK. It will begin downloading the necessary packages and prompt you to restart the device until the installation is complete.
- After the restart, simply search for Hyper-V on the search box and then click Open.
- Finally, Hyper-V is installed and enabled on your PC or laptop.
This is how you can install and enable Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Home PC or laptop with some easy steps. For your information, we have recently installed Windows 10x on Hyper-V and it worked flawlessly. You can use Hyper-V to build a virtual machine on Windows 10 and run Ubuntu, Windows 10X, or some other operating system on your computer.